All NEW Hometipster.com
February 8, 2012 § Leave a comment
I’ve had a number of my subscribers show a little concern as to where I have been, due to the lack of blogging for the last few day. Thanks for all the concern guys and girls but I’m fine. I had to lock myself in the broom cupboard for a while to get the all NEW Hometipster.com website completed and live. It was a monumental task.
Over the last 9 months we’ve had a lot of feedback from our site visitors and some of it wasn’t pleasant… no, not pleasant at all. It wasn’t due to the fact that people were trying to be mean, it’s just that some were very critical of the website, how it worked, what it looked like and how our guides and videos were presented.
All in all I have to say the feedback we got was excellent, even if a little hurtful, but the trouble with running a website is that not everyone will like it, but again, from all the feedback Andrew and I were able to rebuild the entire site.
I know I’ve been away from my blog for a little over a week, but the redesign did take a lot longer. In fact it took us nearly 4 months but that’s not bad for two guys, mum making the tea and lots of ginger biscuits (yummy!).
So, drum roll….. What did we do and how is it holding up with our critics?
1. We completely redesigned the whole site – from scratch! Everything is new, apart from our Logo.
2. We included a new side bar navigation system that allows people to get to the Guides and Videos much quicker.
3. We changed the layout of the Guide Pages, so that if a video is present then it takes center stage.
4. We made the text guides much easier to read and follow. Each one now is clearly numbered, Step 1, Step 2, etc, with lots of white space so it is just much easier to read
5. We included a widget on the Guide Pages that delivers other guides that are relevant to what the person is reading at the time – useful to get more information
6. For the home page, we now have a page delivers, automatically, new guides. We’ve also make the home page more graphical by adding images to guides, but we were careful not to over do it.
7. This is a BIG ONE… we decided to forego Ginger Biscuits for a while and spend the money on a new ANSWERS system. This now allows folks to post questions and answer questions that other people have. We want Hometipster.com to become more helpful to our visitor so this allows for the site to be more community driven.
It was a lot of work and there is more to come. We are working on a few areas to provide even more useful content to help our visitors. So far the feedback from our critics, even the most hardened web users, has proved very positive. A couple of people even paid us the complement of being as good, if not better than many other DIY and Gardening websites out there. 🙂
I’m not going to say it was all plain sailing. Most of you guys know how difficult it is these days to operate a successful website. There’s always so much to do and I know I put in over 12 hours a day, 7 days a week (it’s a good job I love what I do).
Please do take a visit and if you have any comments, suggestions or criticisms then feel free to contact us.
Hope you like the ALL NEW Hometipster.com